Tuesday, November 22, 2011

About the Challenge Cairns



Well I have been putting this off for a bit (writing about it, not doing the challenge), so here goes! I guess there is no off season and after reading a post on Slowtwitch.com, I signed up for the Challenge Cairns, which is basically a challenge to do 36 "sessions" over a month time frame for 2 months (from 31 October to 31 December). A "session" consists of either a 3 mile run, a 12 mile bike, or a 1200 yard swin, at a minimum. Each session of like items must be seperated by 1 hour in between (run followed by a run), but brick workouts (swim/bike/run) can be counted.


So in theory, sounds simple, but in actuality, it means a day skipped is a double later in the week! It is good motivation to get out an do a session, even if it is a "check the box" run or ride, but it really is a good gut check, especially here in Kansas.


The weather here is up and down daily, mainly down with either snow, rain, wind or cold, so that means long rides outside are hard to come by, and running becomes a chore. I would have to say that more than half of my sessions to date are indoor (treadmill / trainer), which add to the mental aspects of the challenge. To date, I am at 23 of 36 sessions this month, with 8 days left, you do the math, I need doubles each day until the end of the month to hit my 36, egads! But I also have next month too, which I need to bank some sessions in December. Which is very do-able!


I will update this a few times a week, so you can keep track, or better yet, get on ST and join the challenge at mid challenge!


See you later, and keep running!

No comments: